“While the rain may indeed fall on the just and the unjust, it does not fall on the prepared.”
This is a quote from personal trainers Lee and Beth Jordan in Eat + Run’s “8 Secrets to Staying Fit During the Holidays.” As we get into the thick of the holiday season, it’s so easy to let our fitness plans fall by the wayside. From family parties to end-of-year work events to school Christmas functions, schedules tend to book up fast this time of year — translating to less time for self care. But as the Jordans would agree, when it comes to staying healthy and fit during the holidays, prepared we must be if we want to succeed. There are so many small things we can do to stay focused on our health goals. Here are some of our best tips to help get you mentally ready for the jolly, yet busy, holidays!
- Make this your mantra: Indulge for a night, not a season. In that same Eat + Run article, Professor Sherry Pagoto gave some great advice on overindulging: “Avoid allowing ‘treats’ to become staples by not letting them linger in the house after the celebration has ended. When the party is over, it is time to dump the junk!”
- Just like you do with parties, schedule your workouts in advance. For some inspiration, check out Men’s Journal’s “5-step Plan to Make Sure You Work Out During the Holidays.”
- Instead of just seeing your relatives at obligatory get-togethers, round up the fam bam for a local holiday 5K. There are tons of options here in San Antonio, so why not make a new family tradition!?
- Be the guest at the party who brings a healthful side or dessert. A veggie tray, a fruit basket, a healthier version of green bean casserole — there are endless recipes out there to come up with a menu full of healthy options.
- Before you sit down for Thanksgiving dinner, drink a full glass of water. Before you get up for seconds, drink a full glass of water. Before you meander over to the dessert table, drink a full glass of water. Are you catching on yet? Drinking plenty of water, specifically before meals, will not only help you consume less, it can also improve your skin and fight off the big-meal fatigue.
How Can We Help?
It is the New Balance mission to keep you fit and healthy all-year round. Though we love a good health-minded New Year’s resolution, we love it even more when our customers are reaching their fitness goals throughout every season, not just when it’s the cool thing to do. So plan ahead and visit us at one of our three San Antonio New Balance locations at The Strand, The Forum, or Quarry Village. With more than 75 models of New Balance shoes to choose from, we’ve got what you need to get motivated and stay excited about fitness all season long!