Exercise used to be easy and didn’t seem like a chore, right? As a kid, you’d run around at recess or take your bike for a spin just for fun. But for some reason, as we get older, exercise becomes one more thing to mark off the day’s ‘to do’ list. Make exercise more fun and creative by trying these out-of-the-box activities and lifestyle upgrades that’ll make you more likely to move.
10 Calorie-Torching Activities that Feel Like Play
- Jump Roping or Skip-its (remember those)?
- Roller Blading
- Rock Climbing
- Zip Lines
- Video Games (fence, box, dance, and play virtual tennis)
- Foot Golf (Soccer and Golf Combo)
- Disc Golf
- Water Running (great if you’re recovering from an injury
- Acroyoga (for a cuteness overload try goat yoga!
5 Lifestyle Fitness Upgrades: Exercise really doesn’t have to be that hard. Did you ever think about the number of calories you were burning while riding your bike as a kid? Of course not! Implement these small lifestyle changes and see results quickly!
- Stop Meeting for Coffee or Cocktails – If somebody wants to meet up with you for coffee, suggest something active at a local park: throwing a baseball, tossing a frisbee, going for a hike. Plan walking meetings instead of a boardroom – Steve Jobs was known for this!
- Compete with your Friends – Challenge your friends to a 10,000 steps daily challenge! Fitbit starts everyone off with a 10,000-step goal, and here’s why: It adds up to about five miles each day for most people, which includes about 30 minutes of daily exercise—satisfying the CDC’s recommendation of at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week.
- Cleaning Party– Nobody likes to clean the house, but if you add the word “party” to any verb, it automatically IS fun! Enlist your roomie or significant other to help and turn on some upbeat tunes! Livestrong reports, a 150-pound person will burn approximately 99 calories doing 30 minutes of housework.
- Treat Yourself! – At New Balance San Antonio, we strongly believe in rewarding yourself for accomplishing even the smallest fitness goals. We suggest self-care vs. food-driven rewards like manicures, massages and workout gear for all your hard work. If you know you have a prize waiting for you at the week you’re more likely to hit your workout goal. Plus, it’s fun to give yourself little presents.
Shop your next reward at one of our three New Balance San Antonio locations: The Strand, The Forum, and The Quarry Village!